Nets beat Bobcats again; Williams exits earlyMar 10, 2012 - 6:17 AM Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Kris Humphries had 20 points and 15 rebounds, helping the New Jersey Nets beat the Charlotte Bobcats, 83-74.
Anthony Morrow scored all 17 of his points in the fourth quarter for the Nets, who saw guard Deron Williams exit in the second quarter with a sore right calf. Williams had a career-high and franchise-record 57 points against Charlotte on Sunday.
"It was one of those grind out games," Morrow said afterwards. "Obviously offense was needed so I was just trying to do what I can and do my part to come in and play solid defense, get some rebounds, and score the ball."
Corey Maggette ended with 19 points and seven rebounds for the Bobcats, who went 1-3 on a four-game homestand. Bismack Biyombo donated 11 points and 11 boards.
Holding a 70-68 lead late in the fourth quarter, the Nets went on a 10-2 spurt to create some distance. Morrow capped the flurry with a three-pointer and two free throws to make it an 80-70 game with 28.6 seconds remaining.
"When you're not shooting the ball and putting it in the hoop, it's going to wear on you and it did," said Bobcats head coach Paul Silas. "It just kind of brings our intensity down."
The Bobcats scored the first four points of the game, but New Jersey responded with a 15-0 run. The Nets held a 23-15 lead after 12 minutes of play.
New Jersey led by as many as 11 in the second stanza and took a 39-35 margin into the break.
Tyrus Thomas' jumper and Maggette's alley-oop slam gave Charlotte a 45-44 lead with eight minutes left in the third period. But the Nets would later score the final five points of the quarter to take a 60-59 edge into the fourth.
New Jersey scored the first eight points of the fourth, but the Bobcats fought back with a 9-2 flurry. Biyombo made two free throws with 4:21 left to cut the gap to 70-68.
New Jersey has beaten the Bobcats three times this season, including a 104-101 victory over them on Sunday. The Nets have also won six of eight in Charlotte...The Bobcats have lost seven of eight to fall to 5-33 on the season...Williams had seven points before leaving.
- NEW JERSEY: 83
Mar 9 9:22 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 60
End of 3rd
Mar 9 8:50 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 39
Mar 9 8:08 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 23
End of 1st
Mar 9 7:34 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 9 7:12 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29