Timberwolves best lowly BobcatsMar 29, 2012 - 2:49 AM Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Kevin Love scored 40 points and pulled down 19 rebounds, as the Minnesota Timberwolves bested the lowly Charlotte Bobcats, 88-83, at Time Warner Cable Arena.
Luke Ridnour posted a double-double of 15 points and 14 assists for the Timberwolves, who won for just the second time in their last eight road games. Minnesota avoided a fifth consecutive road loss to the Bobcats.
"I thought he was terrific tonight," Minnesota head coach Rick Adelman said about Love. "The way he's been able to sustain it night-after-night really says a lot about his conditioning."
Corey Maggette had 22 points and rookie Kemba Walker scored 20 off the bench for Charlotte, which has dropped five in a row.
Love led all scorers with 11 points in a first quarter that ended with Minnesota holding a 24-21 lead. A 9-0 run by the Timberwolves broke a tie and put them ahead 36-27 on Malcolm Lee's dunk with 7:50 remaining in the second quarter.
But Charlotte erased the deficit and Minnesota wound up falling behind by four before a floating jump shot by Ridnour closed the gap to 47-45 at halftime.
After a back-and-forth start to the third quarter, the Timberwolves built an eight-point lead, going up 67-59 on a layup by Love. The Bobcats were down only three heading into the fourth quarter, but Minnesota opened up a double- digit lead when Ridnour converted two free throws that made it 88-77 with three-plus minutes remaining.
"We just didn't execute properly [down the stretch] and our defense wasn't really that good," said Charlotte head coach Paul Silas.
The Timberwolves improved to 2-6 all-time on the road against the Bobcats. They notched their only previous win on New Year's Day 2007...Minnesota snapped a four-game losing streak to Charlotte on February 15...Anthony Tolliver had 11 points and 11 rebounds in a reserve role for Minnesota...Love made 4-of-7 three-pointers...Charlotte's Gerald Henderson contributed 15 points and six boards.
- MINNESOTA: 88
Mar 28 9:16 PM
- MINNESOTA: 68
End of 3rd
Mar 28 8:44 PM
- MINNESOTA: 45
Mar 28 8:06 PM
- MINNESOTA: 24
End of 1st
Mar 28 7:33 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:34
Mar 28 7:13 PM
- Timberwolves will not retain Newton, Kander May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- T-wolves will send Towns with Flip's ring for lottery luck May 16
- Weekend Sports in Brief May 16
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns is NBA Rookie of the Year May 15
- Zach LaVine wins NBA Cares Community Assist award for April May 9
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1