Rose, Bulls top 76ersMar 5, 2012 - 4:27 AM
Carlos Boozer added 13 points while Joakim Noah scored 11 with 18 rebounds for the Bulls, who have won six in a row. They improved to an NBA-best 31-8 on the season.
Thaddeus Young had 17 points and nine rebounds for the 76ers, who have lost seven of their last nine. Jrue Holiday chipped in 16 points while Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand and Nikola Vucevic had 14 apiece.
The Sixers earned a comfortable 98-82 win over Chicago on Feb. 1, but this one was tight throughout and left Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau with an impression of the opponents.
"They're well-coached and tough to match up with," said Thibodeau.
Iguodala offered a similar appraisal of Rose, who he said gives the Sixers fits.
"The pick-and-roll really hurt us," said Iguodala. "He was splitting, creating and attacking. We have trouble with him and they exploited it."
It was 26-24 in favor of the 76ers after one. They pushed their advantage to eight late in the second before Rose knocked down a stepback jumper at the buzzer to cut the Bulls' deficit to 46-40 at the break.
Another Rose buzzer-beater tied it at 64 after three quarters and the Bulls carried the momentum into the fourth.
Chicago opened the quarter with a 17-4 spurt, taking an 81-68 lead on Luol Deng's layup.
The 76ers responded with a 10-1 push, getting two free throws from Lou Williams and six straight from Young before Holiday's fastbreak dunk made it 82-78 at the midway point.
Young continued to carry Philadelphia, cutting the deficit to two, 87-85, with a contested runout layup with under three minutes remaining.
But Iguodala and Young both missed opportunities to tie it down the stretch.
Trailing 91-89, Iguodala air-balled a three-point attempt and Young was off on a baseline jumper on the 76ers' next touch. Rose took advantage, driving left and making a fadeaway runner for a 93-89 lead with 20 seconds left.
It was a three-point game, 94-91, when Iguodala failed to find the rim on a three-pointer with 3.8 remaining. Noah then made two free throws to seal the final result.
Rose's 35 points tied a season-high...Philadelphia had won three straight over Chicago...The Bulls improved to 17-6 on the road this season...The teams will meet again on March 17 in Chicago.
- CHICAGO: 96
Mar 4 9:37 PM
- CHICAGO: 64
End of 3rd
Mar 4 8:52 PM
- CHICAGO: 40
Mar 4 8:08 PM
- CHICAGO: 26
End of 1st
Mar 4 7:32 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 4 7:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- Timberwolves hire Thibodeau as coach/president, Layden is GM Apr 20
- APNewsBreak: Timberwolves talking with Mark Jackson Apr 19
- 76ers counting on free agents, draft picks for better future Apr 14
- Changes could be in store for Bulls after rough season Apr 14