Suns beat Pistons to reach .500Mar 17, 2012 - 5:59 AM
Marcin Gortat added 16 points, Grant Hill and Robin Lopez had 14 apiece and Steve Nash handed out 17 assists for the Suns. They are 8-2 since the All-Star break and improved to 22-22 on the season, marking the first time they have been .500 since Jan. 8.
"We are .500 and we are ecstatic about that but we still got a lot of work to do," said Suns coach Alvin Gentry.
Rodney Stuckey had 23 points and eight assists to pace the Pistons. They had won four of five coming in.
Detroit led by seven, 71-64, in the third when Phoenix used a 9-2 run, capped by Dudley's three, to tie the game and set up a tight finish.
The Pistons were up, 80-79, entering the fourth and 91-89 late in the final frame when the Suns utilized another burst to establish a permanent lead.
Frye made a pair of threes during the decisive 13-4 push, which saw Lopez sink a pair from the charity stripe for a 102-95 advantage with under three minutes to play.
Detroit made it 102-99 courtesy of a tough inside basket from Ben Wallace and two free throws from Stuckey, but Hill intercepted a Stuckey pass after Lopez was off on a 17-footer, forcing the Pistons to foul with 36 seconds left.
Phoenix made 7-of-8 free throws the rest of the way seal the final result.
"I mean coming down the stretch they made plays," said Wallace. "They made enough plays to win the game and we didn't. We were in the game and had a chance to win it, but that's all you can ask is for us to fight and give ourselves a chance."
The Suns led 31-27 at the end of the first quarter before the Pistons took a 59-54 lead into the break behind 10 second-quarter points from Stuckey...Michael Redd scored 11 points for Phoenix...Nash tied a season-high in assists...Detroit has lost six of its last seven meetings with Phoenix.
- DETROIT: 101
Mar 17 12:25 AM
- DETROIT: 80
End of 3rd
Mar 16 11:45 PM
- DETROIT: 59
Mar 16 11:08 PM
- DETROIT: 27
End of 1st
Mar 16 10:35 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 16 10:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25
- Irving scores 31, Cavs sweep Pistons with 100-98 win Apr 25