Magic take down NetsDec 30, 2011 - 6:48 AM
Ryan Anderson scored a game-high 22, while Jason Richardson chipped in 16 for the Orlando, which moved to 2-1. Hedo Turkoglu netted 11 points and dished out seven assists, and J.J. Redick added 15 points off the bench.
"I thought through the first 19 minutes of the game, we played very well," Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy said. "The last five minutes of the half, we didn't defend, but I thought we were very consistent in the second half."
MarShon Brooks led New Jersey with 17 points and Deron Williams scored 10 and had seven assists, but went just 2-of-12 from the field.
The Magic jumped out to a 28-16 lead after the first quarter after shooting 55 percent from the field over the first 12 minutes.
The Nets used a 15-5 run to pull within five to close the second half. The run was sparked by a DeShawn Stevenson three, his third in the game at that point, while Brooks scored eight points over the stretch.
New Jersey was able to get within three after Mehmet Okur knocked down a trey with a little over nine minutes remaining in the third, but that would be as close as the Nets would come as Orlando raced to a 75-62 lead at the end of the third stanza.
The fourth quarter followed the same theme as Orlando continued to pad its lead, outscoring the Nets 19-16 over the final frame. The quarter was highlighted by a ferocious putback slam from Howard off a Redick miss.
Magic point guard Jameer Nelson left in the third quarter with neck spasms and did not return. he finished the game with five assists but failed to score.
The Magic have taken 12 of the last 13 with New Jersey...The Nets are winless in their last seven trips to Orlando...New Jersey's Stevenson and Kris Humphries each scored nine, while Humphries had 10 rebounds.
- NEW JERSEY: 78
Dec 29 9:28 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 62
End of 3rd
Dec 29 8:53 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 44
Dec 29 8:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 16
End of 1st
Dec 29 7:37 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Dec 29 7:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29