Horford, Smith lead Hawks over JazzFeb 28, 2013 - 4:46 AM
Horford tallied 34 points and 15 rebounds, while Smith finished with 24 points and 14 boards for the Hawks, who improved to 3-0 on their six-game road trip.
"This was really a gutsy win for our guys," Hawks coach Larry Drew said. "This is a very tough team to play in their building. We had to control the tempo of the game from start to finish."
Jeff Teague added 19 points with seven assists in the victory.
The Jazz, who lost in overtime to visiting Boston on Monday, dropped consecutive games at home for the first time since a two-game swoon from Dec. 26-28 and have now lost three in a row overall.
Al Jefferson totaled 26 points with 11 rebounds and Derrick Favors, who started for an injured Paul Millsap, finished with 17 points and a season-high 15 boards in the setback.
"We have to get better coming out of halftime. This is the third game in a row," said Jazz coach Ty Corbin. "We have to find a way to figure it out. We can't be down in a hole like that every night."
Marvin Williams' jumper had the Jazz within one at the 2:48 mark in the second, but the Hawks closed out the period on an 11-4 run, with Teague following consecutive scores from Horford with four free throws to stake Atlanta to a 56-48 lead.
The Jazz managed just a single basket over the initial six-plus minutes in the third, in which time the Hawks doubled their halftime advantage.
Teague then poured in his fourth bucket of the quarter to extend the Hawks' edge to 18 points and they carried an 82-66 lead into the fourth.
After DeMarre Carroll scored seven during a 10-2 push, Utah cut its deficit to single digits with four minutes to play, but didn't get any closer until there was just over a minute left, at which point is was too late.
Atlanta has won six of its last seven games and have scored at least 100 points in nine of its last 10 contests ... The Hawks held a 20-7 advantage on the fastbreak ... Devin Harris had 12 points for Atlanta ... Gordon Hayward scored 11 off the bench for Utah.
- ATLANTA: 102
Feb 27 11:16 PM
- ATLANTA: 102
End of Regulation
Feb 27 11:15 PM
- ATLANTA: 82
End of 3rd
Feb 27 10:45 PM
- ATLANTA: 56
Feb 27 10:03 PM
- ATLANTA: 30
End of 1st
Feb 27 9:34 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Feb 27 9:11 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7