Monroe, Pistons drop WizardsFeb 14, 2013 - 5:18 AM
Jose Calderon netted a season-high 24 points and Will Bynum added 20 points and eight assists for the Pistons, who have won three of their last four tilts on the heels of a three-game skid.
"Jose is the type of point guard who knows that when the time is right to pass up some open shots in order to keep the ball moving, and when the time is right to try to knock those shots down," Pistons head coach Lawrence Frank said of Calderon.
Emeka Okafor tallied 20 points and nine rebounds to lead Washington, which had its four-game winning streak snapped.
A pair of Trevor Ariza layups capped a 6-0 Wizards spurt to tie the game at 76-76 with 5:07 left, but the Pistons responded with a 14-2 run to put the contest away.
Bynum tallied the first six points of the surge and Carlos Villanueva capped it with a 3-pointer for a 90-78 Detroit advantage with 1:52 to play.
"We just didn't do the things we've been doing in the last few games," Ariza said.
Detroit took a 21-19 edge after a quarter of play, but Washington outscored the hosts 26-23 in the second to take a 45-44 spread into the break.
The Wizards led 68-65 after three.
The Pistons moved to 7-26 when failing to reach 100 points ... Kyle Singler added 12 points and seven boards for Detroit ... The Pistons went 9-of-18 from beyond the arc.
- WASHINGTON: 85
Feb 13 9:54 PM
- WASHINGTON: 68
End of 3rd
Feb 13 9:14 PM
- WASHINGTON: 45
Feb 13 8:34 PM
- WASHINGTON: 19
End of 1st
Feb 13 8:04 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:50
Feb 13 7:41 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25