Magic rout NetsNov 4, 2013 - 7:02 AM
Nikola Vucevic, who led the Eastern Conference in double-doubles last season with 46, poured in 19 points to go with 12 boards and Andrew Nicholson finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds off the bench for the Magic, who have won two straight.
Arron Afflalo scored 16 points to go with eight assists and six rebounds and Jameer Nelson added 11 points in the win.
"If we played them one-on-one, we'd lose. If we come with a collective responsibility approach at both ends of the floor, we have a chance and our guys did that," Magic head coach Jacque Vaughn said,
Brook Lopez scored a game-high 21 points and blocked five shots and Paul Pierce added 16 points for the Nets, who had new head coach Jason Kidd on the bench for the first time all season. Kidd was suspended for the first two games of the season following a DUI incident in the offseason.
"We didn't execute defensively when we needed to," Kidd said.
Orlando led 41-38 at the break as neither team was able to build a lead bigger than five points over the first 24 minutes.
The Magic opened the third with a 19-4 run. Maurice Harkless hit back-to-back threes and an Afflalo fast-break layup off of a steal made it 49-40.
Lopez then hit a 20-footer to cut the Nets' deficit to seven, but Orlando scored the next 11 points for a 60-42 edge with just under eight minutes to go.
The Nets finally stopped the bleeding with Pierce's layup at the 6:09 mark, sparking an abbreviated 8-1 run that cut the deficit to single digits.
Oladipo and the Magic, however, pushed the lead back to a 15 points, 74-59, by the end of the frame thanks to a Nicholson jumper at the buzzer.
Oladipo scored eight points on the spurt and also dished out an acrobatic assist that led to a Vucevic dunk to highlight the run.
Orlando kept its foot on the pedal in the fourth with quick 8-2 run. On the flurry, Oladipo picked Deron Williams' pocket before throwing down a 360 jam to the delight of the home crowd for a 21-point spread.
Brooklyn couldn't get closer than 17 the rest of the way.
Orlando has taken 11 of its last 14 games at home against the Nets ... The Magic dominated the Nets inside, outscoring Brooklyn 42-26 in the paint ... Nets forward Kevin Garnett surpassed hall of fame center Wilt Chamberlain for fifth place all-time in minutes played in NBA history.
Nov 3 8:18 PM
- BROOKLYN: 59
End of 3rd
Nov 3 7:44 PM
- BROOKLYN: 38
Nov 3 7:02 PM
- BROOKLYN: 22
End of 1st
Nov 3 6:34 PM
- BROOKLYN: 0
1st Quarter - 11:39
Nov 3 6:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29