Jazz edge BobcatsDec 31, 2013 - 4:44 AM Utah Jazz came away with an 83-80 win over the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday.
Utah never trailed in the second half until Ramon Sessions and Kemba Walker made consecutive layups for a 77-76 Charlotte edge with 1:15 on the clock.
On the ensuing Utah touch, Gordon Hayward drove baseline and dropped off a pass for Derrick Favors, whose jam put the Jazz back on top. After the Bobcats came up empty, Burke's driving scoop layup as the shot clock expired made it 80-77, and Al Jefferson's open 3 from the top of the key missed long.
The Jazz then made 3-of-4 free throws before Jefferson's halfcourt heave was pure at the buzzer for the final margin.
Alec Burks scored 14 points off the bench for Utah, which has won two of three. Marvin Williams and Favors netted 13 points apiece, with Williams also grabbing 10 rebounds.
Gerald Henderson had 19 points and Jefferson and Walker each scored 18, as Charlotte lost for the fourth time in its last five tilts.
Trailing 63-53 after three quarters, Walker sparked a 12-2 Charlotte run to tie the score
Burke and Richard Jefferson hit triples to help Utah reclaim control, but Al Jefferson kept the Bobcats close with some of his patented mid-range moves before Walker's tip-in layup put Charlotte in front.
Earlier, the Bobcats managed just 13 second quarter points on 4-of-15 shooting as the Jazz built a 42-34 halftime edge.
Walker's layup cut Charlotte's deficit to five 3:40 into the third, but Burke scored five straight after a Williams 3-ball to keep the visitors at arm's length heading into the fourth.
Both teams scored 34 points in the paint ... Hayward and Richard Jefferson scored nine points each ... Favors matched a season-high with six turnovers. He also had six in an opening night loss to Oklahoma City.
Dec 30 11:13 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 80
End of Regulation
Dec 30 11:11 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 53
End of 3rd
Dec 30 10:39 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 34
Dec 30 10:01 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 21
End of 1st
Dec 30 9:32 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 0
1st Quarter - 11:47
Dec 30 9:12 PM
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29