Oladipo helps Magic beat PistonsFeb 6, 2014 - 4:25 AM Orlando, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Victor Oladipo paced a balanced Orlando scoring attack with 20 points, as the Magic downed the Detroit Pistons, 112- 98, on Wednesday at Amway Center.
Glen Davis donated 18 points, Arron Afflalo and Maurice Harkless each added 15 points, and Nikola Vucevic netted 14 points for the Magic, who had lost five of their last six coming into the game.
"Hopefully we can just keep building off this into the next game," Harkless said of the team snapping its two-game slide.
Josh Smith led all scorers with 25 points to go with 12 rebounds, Andre Drummond registered 15 points and 14 boards and Brandon Jennings supplied 15 points and 10 assists for the Pistons, who have lost two straight games.
With the tilt tied 32 apiece nearly four minutes into the second quarter, Orlando used a 13-2 burst over the next three minutes to create some separation.
Oladipo poured in six during the surge before Afflalo finished it with a 3- pointer that made it 45-34 Magic with just over five minutes left in the half.
Orlando carried a 57-43 cushion into the locker room and used an 8-0 sprint early in the third to push the spread to 65-46 with 8:34 on the clock.
A Davis jumper had the margin at 20 with 2:55 left in the third, but Smith scored nine of the final 12 points in the period to pull the Pistons within 88-74 heading into the final frame.
Smith then opened the fourth with a jumper and added a layup shortly after to get Detroit within 10, but the home team held the Pistons at arm's length from there, maintaining a double-digit cushion over the remainder of the contest.
"We just didn't play good basketball," Detroit's Kyle Singler said. "Turned the ball over, never really got into a rhythm. Our effort was poor."
Neither team led by more than five in a back-and-forth first frame that featured five lead changes and six ties, including when the quarter closed with the teams locked at 26-all.
Orlando took two of three from Detroit to win the season series ... Detroit has dropped four straight on the road and fell to 10-14 as the visitor this season ... Orlando improved to 11-14 at home this season ... Orlando's Kyle O'Quinn contributed eight points, five boards and a career-high six blocks.
Feb 5 9:21 PM
- DETROIT: 98
End of Regulation
Feb 5 9:21 PM
- DETROIT: 74
End of 3rd
Feb 5 8:50 PM
- DETROIT: 43
Feb 5 8:06 PM
- DETROIT: 26
End of 1st
Feb 5 7:34 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 11:42
Feb 5 7:11 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25