Wall lifts Wizards over HawksFeb 20, 2014 - 3:54 AM
Trevor Ariza and Bradley Beal donated 19 points apiece for Washington, which led wire-to-wire and snapped an 11-game losing skid in Atlanta. Marcin Gortat added 14 points and 12 rebounds in the victory.
"We needed it real bad, especially if we're trying to make a push," Ariza said. "This one was big for us, especially knowing we haven't won here in a while."
Paul Millsap and Elton Brand scored 21 and 20 points, respectively, with both grabbing 11 boards in the setback. Jeff Teague had 16 points before leaving late in the contest with a sprained left ankle, while Kyle Korver extended his streak of consecutive games with a 3-pointer to 122.
The Hawks, who were without forward DeMarre Carroll (hamstring) and center Gustavo Ayon (shoulder), have lost seven straight.
"We were a little short-handed," said Brand. "We're trying to find a way to win. Things aren't going our way right now. We have to find a way to make it go our way."
The Wizards controlled this one from start to finish. Ariza netted eight in the first quarter, including five straight midway through that made it 22-12.
Trevor Booker followed a Martell Webster trey with two buckets to conclude the frame, and the visitors held a commanding 31-14 edge after 12 minutes.
The lead ballooned to 20, 48-28, on a Beal 3-ball 5:40 into the second quarter, but Atlanta closed the period on a 6-0 run to pull within 11 points at the break.
Teague started the third period with a triple, and Atlanta found itself down just a point on multiple occasions during the third. Booker and Wall made timely baskets, however, to help Washington maintain its lead.
Ariza's 3/4 court shot was pure as time expired in the stanza, giving the Wizards a 91-83 advantage. It never got under five the rest of the way, with a Gortat alley-oop slam capping a 9-0 surge to seal it.
Webster and Booker had 13 and 12 points, respectively, while Nene finished with 10 for Washington ... The Wizards made 13-of-24 from the arc ... Lou Williams scored 14 off the bench for Atlanta ... The Hawks took 19 more free throws.
Feb 19 9:43 PM
- WASHINGTON: 91
End of 3rd
Feb 19 9:15 PM
- WASHINGTON: 58
Feb 19 8:34 PM
- WASHINGTON: 31
End of 1st
Feb 19 8:01 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 11:41
Feb 19 7:41 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- Frye leads another 3-point barrage, Cavs beat Hawks 121-108 May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7
- Hawks lineup change: Sefolosha for Korver in Game 3 vs Cavs May 6