Bobcats use late run to take down WizardsMar 13, 2014 - 4:03 AM
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist also recorded a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds, while Kemba Walker and Gerald Henderson scored 16 and 13 points, respectively, for the Bobcats, who won for the fourth time in five games and equaled a single-season franchise record with their 13th road victory.
"I think we're starting to realize that we're a really good team. We're not the same Bobcats as the past," Walker said.
John Wall finished with 23 points, Bradley Beal netted 18 and Marcin Gortat had 12 with 10 boards for the Wizards, who missed nine of their final 12 shots in dropping consecutive games for the first time in nearly a month.
It was no more than a six-point game through the first three quarters.
Wall's 14 first-quarter points staked the Wizards to a 27-22 lead, and Charlotte countered with 10 of the last 14 points in the half to bring a 48-46 edge into the intermission.
The Bobcats still led by a small 69-66 margin heading to the fourth, and it was tied at 78-78 before Charlotte embarked on a game-sealing 16-2 run.
Walker was fouled shooting a 3-pointer with 4:34 remaining, and as he was on the line, Wizards head coach Randy Wittman was hit with a technical foul for arguing. Walker made all four at the stripe for an 87-80 Charlotte lead, and after Wall missed two free throws, Walker drained a 3-pointer for a 10-point cushion.
Henderson's baseline jumper followed by two Kidd-Gilchrist free throws capped the spurt and, essentially, the game.
"I thought they were more aggressive than we were all night, both ends of the floor," Wittman said.
Washington was riding an 8-1 stretch before a loss to the Heat on Monday ... The Wizards are two games ahead of Charlotte in the win column ... Charlotte outscored the Wizards in the paint, 44-32, and at the free throw line, 17-6.
Mar 12 9:18 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 69
End of 3rd
Mar 12 8:43 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 48
Mar 12 8:02 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 22
End of 1st
Mar 12 7:36 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Mar 12 7:14 PM
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- LeBron 'not fond' of NBA's reviews of officiating Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29