Millsap, Hawks down NuggetsMar 16, 2014 - 3:17 AM
Kyle Korver finished with 18 points on 4-of-4 shooting from 3-point range and Jeff Teague added 15 points and 10 assists for the Hawks, winners in three straight.
Pero Antic scored 16 points and DeMarre Carroll added 11 points, 10 rebounds and four steals in the win.
Kenneth Faried scored 25 points and Wilson Chandler added 12 for the Nuggets, who had won two straight entering the contest.
Ty Lawson had 11 assists and nine rebounds, but totaled just two points on 0- of-12 shooting from the field.
Denver committed 21 turnovers.
"When you play on the road, you can't turn the ball over 21 times," said Nuggets coach Brian Shaw.
Antic gave the Hawks a 58-37 lead after burying a 3-pointer 34 seconds into the third quarter. Later in the period, the Nuggets used a 14-2 run, capped with a Randy Foye triple, to make it 62-55 with five minutes to go.
Atlanta managed to push its lead to 14, but Evan Fournier beat the buzzer to cap an 8-0 surge that made it 77-71 entering the final frame.
The Nuggets took an 87-84 lead with 4:43 to go, but Teague nailed a jumper with 1:51 remaining to put the Hawks ahead 91-89. Faried knocked down a pair of free throws moments later to give the visitors a one-point edge, but the Hawks scored the final six points of the game.
"(The Nuggets) found some energy somewhere. Give them credit, they fought back. I'm glad we came away with the win," said Millsap.
The Hawks raced out to a 19-6 lead following Carroll's 3-pointer with 7:08 left in the opening frame. Denver cut it to eight, 19-11, but Atlanta managed to push its spread back to double digits and owned a 28-15 lead after 12 minutes.
Faried had the Nuggets within six, 38-32, with 4:11 remaining in the first half, but the Hawks closed the frame on a 15-5 run to take a 53-37 edge into the break.
"Just a case of too little too late. We were real lethargic in the first half. We needed to play the way we played that fourth quarter and the end of the third quarter at the start of the game," said Shaw.
The Hawks shot 43.8 percent from 3-point range (14-for-32) ... Atlanta scored 25 points off turnovers ... Denver outscored the Hawks 44-26 in the paint ... J.J. Hickson had 11 points and 10 rebounds and Fournier finished with 10 points off the bench for Denver.
Mar 15 10:01 PM
- DENVER: 71
End of 3rd
Mar 15 9:21 PM
- DENVER: 37
Mar 15 8:34 PM
- DENVER: 15
End of 1st
Mar 15 8:09 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 11:55
Mar 15 7:45 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- After fallback season, Hawks look to rise again in East May 9
- Love, James lead Cavs to another sweep, 100-99 over Hawks May 9
- Big Three leads Cavaliers back to Eastern Conference finals May 9
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 8
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 8
- Cavaliers-Hawks Preview May 7
- Cavs looks unstoppable as they eye another playoff sweep May 7
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 7