Pacers rest starters, but easily beat MagicApr 17, 2014 - 3:58 AM
Evan Turner chipped in 14 points, eight rebounds and six assists for the Pacers (56-26), who finished with the best record in the East and will have home-court advantage throughout the conference playoffs.
The Central Division champions will start the playoffs against Atlanta in a rematch of last year's first-round series, won in six games by the Pacers. The teams split this season's four-game series. The postseason set begins Saturday night in Indianapolis.
Lavoy Allen ended with 12 points and 11 boards for the Pacers, who rested regular starters David West, Paul George and Lance Stephenson. Donald Sloan tallied 13 points in a reserve role.
"It's a new game now, it's playoff time, 0-0," Pacers guard George Hill said. "It's the first to 16 (wins)."
Mo Harkless had 14 points to pace the Magic (23-59), who lost their final four games and finished with the third-worst record in the league.
"We have good men in the locker room who want to get better," Magic coach Jacque Vaughn said. "They got better this year."
Dewayne Dedmon, who had eight points and 13 rebounds, made a jumper to get the Magic within 46-42 a minute into the second half. The Pacers, though, went on an ensuing 20-6 spurt. Sloan finished off the burst with a 3-pointer.
Indiana held a 75-62 lead after three and widened the gap to as many as 19 in the final quarter.
The Magic led by as many as seven in the first quarter, but later gave up nine straight points and trailed 25-20 after 12 minutes. The visitors led 46-40 at the half.
Copeland was 5-of-11 from 3-point range ... Indiana held a 52-40 rebounding advantage ... E'Twaun Moore had 13 points, Doron Lamb 11 and Andrew Nicholson 10 for the Magic, who shot 40.5 percent from the field.
Apr 16 9:13 PM
- INDIANA: 75
End of 3rd
Apr 16 8:48 PM
- INDIANA: 46
Apr 16 8:06 PM
- INDIANA: 25
End of 1st
Apr 16 7:37 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Quarter - 11:37
Apr 16 7:14 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5