Trail Blazers down Kings despite off night from LillardNov 10, 2013 - 7:16 AM Portland Trail Blazers to a 96-85 win over the Sacramento Kings at Sleep Train Arena.
Wesley Matthews added 21 points while Nicolas Batum and Robin Lopez chipped in with 12 points apiece for the Trail Blazers, winners in four of their last five games.
Reigning NBA Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard was held to just four points on 1-of-15 shooting, snapping his streak of five straight games with at least three 3-pointers made.
"I'm not going to go shoot a thousand jumpers because I went 1-for-15. It's not going to happen too often, I know that," Lillard said.
DeMarcus Cousins scored a team-high 33 points and pulled down 12 rebounds for the Kings, who have dropped five straight since beating the Denver Nuggets on opening night.
"We got outworked on the glass. I think we've got a lot of guys who just care about themselves on this team. Changes will be made before we play on Wednesday," Kings head coach Mike Malone said.
Portland led 21-18 after a back-and-forth first quarter.
The Blazers then opened the second frame with a 10-2 burst to take a 31-20 edge just under three minutes in. Ben McLemore capped a 10-3 flurry for the Kings with a trey from the corner, but Portland outscored Sacramento 9-8 to take a 45-38 edge into the break.
The Blazers' lead swelled to 17 points in the third and Portland led by as many as 22 in the fourth, but the Kings rallied for a 34-9 run to pull within seven points following a Cousins' hook shot in the paint.
After trading empty possessions, Batum essentially put the game out of reach with a triple from the right wing with 1:38 to go. The Kings couldn't get closer than nine points the rest of the way.
The Blazers have won seven of their last 10 games in Sacramento ... Portland holds a 119-74 edge in the all-time series ... Portland outrebounded the kings 52-33 ... Cousins took 11 of the Kings' 14 free throws. He was 7-for-11 from the line.
Nov 10 12:13 AM
- PORTLAND: 69
End of 3rd
Nov 9 11:40 PM
- PORTLAND: 45
Nov 9 11:02 PM
- PORTLAND: 21
End of 1st
Nov 9 10:33 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Quarter - 11:46
Nov 9 10:11 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 10