Lee leads Warriors over NuggetsDec 24, 2013 - 5:52 AM Denver, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - David Lee tallied his ninth straight double- double with 28 points and 10 rebounds as the Golden State Warriors defeated the Denver Nuggets 89-81 on Monday night.
Klay Thompson netted eight of his 13 points in the fourth quarter, while Stephen Curry added 14 points for the Warriors, who have won three of their last four games.
"I think the last 10 games or so I've tried to be really aggressive, especially to start games, to attack the rim," Lee said of his strong play of late. "Tonight was no exception."
Ty Lawson had 16 points for Denver, which has dropped four straight tilts.
Wilson Chandler's dunk with 4:55 left staked Denver a 77-76 lead, but the Warriors responded with a 7-1 spurt.
Lee banked in a jumper and Thompson stroked a turnaround jumper on consecutive trips down the floor for Golden State before Andre Miller split a pair of free throws. Andre Iguodala then capped the flurry with a triple for an 83-78 Warriors cushion.
Miller knocked down a jumper to make it 83-80 with 2:23 to play, but Denver never got any closer.
Lawson missed a running banker and Chandler was off the mark on a triple on the Nuggets' next two trips down the floor. Thompson then backed Lawson down from the high right post before turning around and hitting the jumper with 22.6 ticks on the clock to seal the outcome.
"The ball started sticking, we couldn't swing the ball from side to side," Nuggets head coach Brian Shaw said of the team's offensive struggles in the fourth quarter. "The pace was too slow and when we were able to get clean rebounds we were not getting it out and pushing it."
Earlier, Lee netted 10 quick points as the Warriors raced out to a 24-9 start.
Golden State had a 30-22 advantage after a quarter of play, but a 10-2 Denver run during the middle stages of the second pulled the Nuggets into a 41-41 tie.
The Warriors led 47-43 at the break, but the Nuggets took a 66-64 edge into the final frame.
Andrew Bogut pulled down 11 rebounds for Golden State ... Timofey Mozgov had 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Nuggets ... The Warriors shot 42.9 percent (36-of-84) from the floor.
Dec 23 11:24 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 64
End of 3rd
Dec 23 10:47 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 47
Dec 23 10:07 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 30
End of 1st
Dec 23 9:35 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 2
1st Quarter - 11:44
Dec 23 9:10 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19