Lawson leads Nuggets over KingsJan 27, 2014 - 6:22 AM Denver Nuggets to a 125-117 win over the Sacramento Kings on Sunday.
Wilson Chandler tallied 20 points and Kenneth Faried deposited a 15-point, 11- rebound double-double for Denver, which has won two straight on the heels of a three-game skid.
"In a second night of a back-to-back we came in here and handled our business and did what we had to do," said Nuggets coach Brian Shaw. "The guys know they have the day off tomorrow and I told them to leave it all out on the floor tonight."
Isaiah Thomas had 22 points and eight assists to lead the Kings, who were without Rudy Gay (Achilles) and DeMarcus Cousins (ankle) for a second straight contest.
Marcus Thornton netted 19 points, Jason Thompson contributed 13 points and 10 rebounds and Ben McLemore scored 18 points off the bench in the setback.
"I played with a lot of confidence out there, but at the end of the day we came up short," McLemore said.
Both teams shot 42-for-81 (51.9 percent) from the field, but the difference was 10 3-pointers made by Denver compared to just four for Sacramento.
Denver brought a slim 95-93 lead into the fourth and the Nuggets stretched their advantage to 108-100 early in the final stanza courtesy of a 9-3 run.
Thornton made a jumper a couple of minutes later to cut the deficit to 111-107 with 4 1/2 minutes to play. Lawson answered with a layup and Chandler followed with a jumper to push the lead to eight. Denver was 6-for-6 from the free- throw line in the final minute to help secure the win.
Sacramento led 31-30 after one quarter and the two teams went back-and-forth in the second before Denver went on a 13-3 run to take a 64-55 lead. The Nuggets went into the locker room up 65-59 at the break.
There were 11 ties and 23 lead changes in the contest ... Thomas converted 7- of-21 attempts from the field ... Denver outscored Sacramento 58-48 in the paint and 33-23 on the fastbreak ... Timofey Mozgov and Nate Robinson scored 14 and 12 points, respectively, in a reserve role for Denver.
Jan 26 11:36 PM
- DENVER: 95
End of 3rd
Jan 26 10:54 PM
- DENVER: 65
Jan 26 10:11 PM
- DENVER: 30
End of 1st
Jan 26 9:38 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Jan 26 9:11 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14