Spurs stay hot, top Nuggets for 15th straight winMar 27, 2014 - 4:28 AM San Antonio Spurs to a 108-103 win over the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday.
Danny Green hit 5-of-9 from distance en route to 16 points, while Tony Parker, Tiago Splitter and Manu Ginobili all donated 10 points as the Spurs extended the NBA's longest current winning streak to 15 games.
San Antonio has won both meetings this season over the Nuggets with a chance to complete the season-sweep on Friday in Denver.
Aaron Brooks paced Denver with 25 points and eight assists off the bench. Kenneth Faried and Timofey Mozgov each posted double-doubles, with Faried totaling 24 points and 10 rebounds while Mozgov finished with 14 points and 11 boards.
"Ten more games. Training camp started for us now. It's about playing hard and developing chemistry like the Spurs," said Brooks.
The Black and Silver hit 13-of-20 in the first quarter to take a 34-28 lead.
The spread quickly reached double figures, with Patty Mills' deep triple 45 seconds into the second making it 39-28. The Spurs continued to pour it on, eventually taking a 63-43 lead into halftime as Green's 3-ball from Parker beat the buzzer.
San Antonio had its largest lead, 72-48, on a Ginobili layup at 8:47 of the third, when Brooks keyed Denver's rally to get back in the game.
The reserve point guard checked in a minute later and made an immediate impact, hitting a 3-pointer and a runner plus a foul on consecutive possessions. The Spurs still led 84-67 after three.
The Nuggets controlled the fourth quarter, as Brooks' 3-ball highlighted a 12-0 run, which Ginobili finally ended with his finger roll with just over seven minutes to play.
Faried then went on a personal 5-0 run for a 90-86 game. The margin hovered between four and eight the rest of the way, but Denver never managed to make it a one-possession game. Duncan carried the load offensively down the stretch, scoring 11 points in the final 4:45.
"In the second half it kind of changed. I think we were a little too unselfish. We moved the ball too much, which caused some turnovers that turned into points," Duncan said.
Both teams had 43 rebounds and 46 points in the paint ... Quincy Miller scored 11 points for the Nuggets ... The Spurs, currently the only team in the West to have clinched a playoff berth, are now three games ahead of the idle Thunder for top seed in the conference.
Mar 26 10:52 PM
- DENVER: 67
SAN ANTONIO: 84
End of 3rd
Mar 26 10:13 PM
- DENVER: 43
SAN ANTONIO: 63
Mar 26 9:37 PM
- DENVER: 28
SAN ANTONIO: 34
End of 1st
Mar 26 9:06 PM
- DENVER: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 11:55
Mar 26 8:43 PM
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12