Blazers top JazzApr 12, 2014 - 5:52 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge had 18 points and 14 rebounds and Damian Lillard added 16 points and six assists for Portland, which has won seven of eight. Nicolas Batum tallied 15 points, seven boards and seven helpers and Robin Lopez contributed 12 points and eight rebounds.
"I like our team, I think we're coming together at the right time," said Blazers head coach Terry Stotts. "We've won seven out of eight. Defensively we've been locked in. I think our offense is starting to come around again. We're all looking forward to the playoffs."
Portland now trails the Houston Rockets by a half-game for the fourth playoff seed in the Western Conference.
Derrick Favors scored 21 and had eight rebounds and Alec Burks scored 16 and grabbed six boards for the Jazz, who have lost 19 of 22. Enes Kanter totaled 15 points and 13 rebounds and Trey Burke and Gordon Hayward scored 14 points apiece in defeat.
"I think, overall, their whole team did a good job continuing to execute," said Burke. "We made some mental errors that we couldn't afford to make."
The Jazz held a 79-77 lead one minute into the fourth before Portland went on a 21-6 tear. Matthews' alley-oop put the Blazers ahead, 98-85, with 4:47 left to play, and the Jazz came as close as nine the rest of the way.
Earlier, the Jazz led by eight with 9 1/2 left in the first half before an 11-2 surge put Portland ahead, 37-36, with 5:45 on the clock. There were four lead changes through the rest of the half and the Trail Blazers led by as many as four, however, Utah came back to take a 53-51 lead at the break.
In the first quarter there were two lead changes and five ties, with neither team leading by more than eight. Utah closed out the quarter with a 12-4 run and carried a 31-23 lead into the second period.
Portland completed its first ever season series sweep of the Jazz ... The Trail Blazers are now 34-7 against teams that have sub .500 records ... Utah fell to 1-30 when facing western conference foes and scoring less than 100 points ... Portland is now 27-4 when they hold opponents under 100 points.
Apr 12 1:39 AM
- PORTLAND: 76
End of 3rd
Apr 12 1:37 AM
- PORTLAND: 53
Apr 11 10:03 PM
- PORTLAND: 23
End of 1st
Apr 11 9:34 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Quarter - 11:39
Apr 11 9:13 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11