Final - 2OT
  for this game

Atkins saves Grizzlies from seventh straight loss

Dec 19, 2006 - 6:03 AM MEMPHIS, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Chucky Atkins' decision to stretch the game went in the Memphis Grizzlies' favor.

Atkins scored 28 points and drilled a deep buzzer-beating 3-pointer to force a second overtime as the Grizzlies snapped a long skid with a 134-126 double-overtime victory over the Seattle SuperSonics, who completed an 0-5 road trip.

Mike Miller collected 29 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists and rookie Rudy Gay added 17 points for Memphis, which ended a six-game losing streak by shooting 51 percent (45-of-88) overall.

The Grizzlies trailed for much of the first overtime before Atkins made two big shots. The point guard made a short jumper, pulling them within 114-112 with seven seconds left.

After making his first 12 free throws, Seattle's Rashard Lewis missed the second of two foul shots, allowing Atkins to race down court and nail a 30-foot 3-pointer as time expired.

"Chucky certainly hit the shot we needed, and I think we learned something tonight," Memphis coach Mike Fratello said. "When you're down, you can't stop. You have to give yourself a chance and catch a break along the way. The break we got was the missed free throw. That allowed us to tie it and go on to win the basketball game."

"This loss is a little tougher though since it was right there in our hands," Lewis said. "Chucky Atkins hit the shot. I thought we had it wrapped up, but we didn't."

In the second overtime, Eddie Jones gave the Grizzlies the lead for good on a 3-pointer for a 122-120 edge with 3:15 remaining. Gay made a steal and stretched the margin with a reverse dunk. Memphis sank 10-of-12 foul shots down the stretch to seal things.

"All year we've been close, losing heartbreakers like this," Atkins said. "We've been saying we just have to get over the hump. Tonight was a hump game. We lost a similar game when Miami was here, so it feels good to be on the other side."

On December 2, former Grizzlie James Posey drilled a game-winning 3-pointer from the corner as time expired.

Lewis scored a season-high 36 points and Luke Ridnour had 22 points and 10 assists for the Sonics, who committed 22 turnovers.

During regulation, Lewis put Seattle in front, 97-96, with a tough banker from the block over Dahntay Jones with 37 seconds left. But Jones responded by corralling Gay's missed jumper before finding Atkins for a 3-pointer with 17 seconds to go.

In the closing seconds, Lewis was able to gather his own rebound and hit a short banker, drawing the Sonics even at 99-99 with 1.5 ticks remaining.

"He (Lewis) had 36 points tonight," Seattle coach Bob Hill said. "I can't remember if it was regulation or overtime, but there was one point where he just went and got his own rebound and willed the ball into the basket."

Miller missed a fadeaway jumper from the baseline as time expired.