Martin leads Kings to 20th straight home triumph vs. NuggetsFeb 4, 2007 - 5:41 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Kevin Martin and Ron Artest kept the Denver Nuggets seeking the answer to a 10-year-old question.
Martin scored 28 points and Artest harassed Carmelo Anthony all game and added a clutch jumper with 17 seconds left as the Kings won their 20th straight home contest against the Nuggets with a 94-87 victory.
Brad Miller added 12 points and seven rebounds for Sacramento, which last lost here to Denver on January 7, 1997. The Nuggets again played without All-Star guard Allen Iverson, who missed his third straight game with a sprained ankle.
Martin scored 15 points in the first half, including a 3-pointer that capped an 18-2 run and provided a 51-39 edge with 1:53 left. The Nuggets closed within 72-71 with an 11-0 run that bridged the final two quarters before Martin hit a free throw and jumper to restore order.
The Nuggets rallied late, getting back-to-back 3-pointers from Steve Blake and J.R. Smith to cut the deficit to 90-87 with 35 seconds left. But Artest calmly sank a jumper from the left wing to seal the victory.
Artest collected 21 points and 11 rebounds and shut down Anthony, who entered leading the NBA with 31.3 points per game. The star forward scored 20 points on 7-of-25 shooting and committed six turnovers.
Nene scored 12 points and Marcus Camby grabbed 15 rebounds for Denver, which was coming off Friday's 114-107 overtime win over Portland, its only win in its last six games.
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14