97 - 105 Final - OT
  for this game

Gay powers Grizzlies past Timperwolves

Feb 10, 2007 - 6:11 AM MEMPHIS, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Rookie Rudy Gay was the catalyst that ended the Memphis Grizzlies' losing streak.

Gay scored seven of his 19 points in overtime and Mike Miller added 17 to lead the Grizzlies to a 105-97 triumph over the Minnesota Timberwolves, snapping their four-game losing streak.

Gay scored the first five points during the extra session on a jumper and a 3-pointer to give the Grizzlies a 97-92 lead with 3:28 to play.

"I think we saw tonight what Rudy Gay is capable of doing," Memphis coach Tony Barone said. "He's going to be a very good player. He hit big shots tonight, had big blocks and got a little better defensively."

"When you have Pau Gasol and Mike Miller on your team, it helps your game a lot," Gay said. "They have to double those guys a lot and focus in on those guys, and that gives guys like me a chance to get open and make some plays."

Mark Blount hit a 3-pointer with 46 seconds remaining to get Minnesota within 102-97, but it did not score thereafter. He finished with 25 points.

"I got some good looks tonight and was able to make some shots, but it doesn't matter if you don't win," Blount said. "We have to fix it. We have to execute better."

Atkins scored 15 points and Gasol added 10 and tied a season high with 17 rebounds for the Grizzlies, who shot 42 percent (39-of-93).

In regulation, Hakim Warrick threw down a rim-rattling dunk over Blount with 4:03 remaining and Chucky Atkins capped an 8-0 run with a driving layup 14 seconds later to give the Grizzlies an 88-86 lead.

"I think (the dunk) did (change the game)," Warrick said. "It was back and forth for a while, and I think the momentum really shifted for us (after the dunk) and the crowd got into it. I think it fired us all up."

Ricky Davis nailed a jumper with 49 seconds left to give the Timberwolves a slim 92-90 advantage. But Miller drove the left side of the lane on the next possession and scored on a layup which tied the game and ultimately sent it to overtime.

Memphis had three separate opportunities to win the game in regulation, but Atkins missed a runner down the middle, Gasol missed the follow and Warrick could not convert a fallaway jumper as time expired.

Garnett had 20 points and 17 rebounds for Minnesota, which shot 50 percent (42-of-84), including 7-of-14 from 3-point range.

"They were crashing the boards and had the numbers," Garnett said. "They made threes and got rebounds. They had two guys on the ball. It's the same old thing. We've been dealing with the same problems all year."