Hayes, Pistons defeat shorthanded NuggetsOct 15, 2007 - 12:59 AM AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- The Detroit Pistons had just enough to defeat the shorthanded Denver Nuggets.
Jarvis Hayes scored 24 points and Jason Maxiell added 16 points and 11 rebounds as the Pistons held on for a 109-106 victory over the Nuggets on Sunday.
Denver played without Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson, who did not make the trip to Detroit, as well as Nene (calf strain), Kenyon Martin (knee), Anthony Carter (hand) and Eduardo Najera (back).
Detroit led, 101-92, with 4:48 remaining, but an 8-0 run brought the Nuggets within one point with 2:00 left.
Denver trailed by three points with 20 seconds left, but Anthony Roberson's 3-point attempt was off the mark.
Pistons rookie Rodney Stuckey sank two free throws with eight seconds remaining to seal the win.
Roberson scored 22 points while Marcus Camby added 10 points and 16 rebounds for the Nuggets.
Tayshaun Prince scored 19 points and Chauncey Billups added 16 for Detroit.
Pistons guard Richard Hamilton left the game with 6:37 left in the third quarter with a left ankle sprain, but the injury is not being considered serious.
DETROIT 109 FINAL
Oct 14 8:30 PM
DETROIT 79 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 14 7:50 PM
DETROIT 63 HALFTIME
Oct 14 7:05 PM
DETROIT 29 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 14 6:37 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25
- Irving scores 31, Cavs sweep Pistons with 100-98 win Apr 25