Stojakovic leads shorthanded Hornets over NuggetsJan 29, 2009 - 3:55 AM NEW ORLEANS (Ticker) -- Peja Stojakovic scored 26 points and Devin Brown added 18 off the bench as the New Orleans Hornets blitzed the Denver Nuggets in the second half en route to a 94-81 victory on Wednesday.
After flirting with a quadruple-double Monday, Chris Paul added 12 points and 10 assists for the Hornets, who have won five of their last six games.
Holding a two-point lead at the half, New Orleans outscored Denver, 48-37, after intermission despite being shorthanded. The Hornets were without star big men Tyson Chandler and David West.
West missed his fifth straight game with back spasms and isn't expected to return until next week. Chandler has sat out the last four contests with a sprained left ankle that is expected to keep him on the bench for at least the next two weeks.
Kenyon Martin scored 22 points and J.R. Smith added 20 for the Nuggets, who fell to 6-4 without Carmelo Anthony. The star forward is expected to be in the lineup for Friday's game against the Charlotte Bobcats after sitting out since January 5 with a fractured right hand.
NEW ORLEANS 94 FINAL
Jan 28 10:33 PM
NEW ORLEANS 68 END, 3RD QTR
Jan 28 10:07 PM
NEW ORLEANS 46 HALFTIME
Jan 28 9:24 PM
NEW ORLEANS 19 END, 1ST QTR
Jan 28 8:47 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- George's return has Pacers dreaming of brighter future May 2
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 28
- Hornets C Spencer Hawes out for remainder of series vs Heat Apr 28
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27