Dyson, Adrien lead UConn to tournament titleNov 25, 2008 - 6:05 AM ST. THOMAS, Virgin Islands (Ticker) -- Jerome Dyson scored 21 points and Jeff Adrien added 14 and nine rebounds as second-ranked Connecticut captured the Paradise Jam tournament title on Monday with a 76-57 victory over No. 19 Wisconsin.
Freshman Kemba Walker chipped in 12 points for the Huskies (5-0), who shot 52 percent (25-of-48) from the floor.
Connecticut forced 22 turnovers and recorded a win over a top-25 team for the second straight game.
"Certainly a very good win against a good field," UConn coach Jim Calhoun told the Hartford Courant. "If we play with this kind of energy, we'll be a tough out the entire year. We are the most energized club, and we are fast."
Wisconsin had a slight edge for most of the first half but Connecticut finished strong.
A.J. Price had a pair of 3-pointers and Dyson scored five points as the Huskies went on a 19-4 run over the final 8:11 of the first half to take a 38-28 bulge into the locker rooms.
Dyson had 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting in the first half as UConn shot 65 percent (15-of-23) in the opening 20 minutes.
The Badgers used an 8-1 run to climb within 45-43 but the Huskies scored the next seven points to extend the lead to 52-43 with 10:37 remaining.
Wisconsin (4-1) never got back in it as Walker scored four quick points during a 9-1 spurt to give Connecticut a 69-52 lead with 4:31 to play and the Huskies cruised to the finish.
"That's a very difficult team to play from behind against," Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan told the Courant. "The key was to keep it tight, but once they separated by 10 again, do you have another push? We didn't. It got away."
Hasheem Thabeet had nine points, eight rebounds and three blocks for the Huskies and was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.
"We had a lot of energy," Thabeet told the newspaper. "That was a key."
Keaton Nankivil scored 11 points to lead Wisconsin, which shot 38 percent (19-of-50) from the floor.
- PARADISE JAM
NCAA BB PARADISE JAM
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (2) 38 38 76
WISCONSIN (19) 28 29 57 FINAL
Nov 24 10:34 PM
- PARADISE JAM
NCAA BB (2) CONNECTICUT 38
(19) WISCONSIN 28 HALFTIME
Nov 24 9:22 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19