Lucas helps Michigan State capture Big Ten titleMar 2, 2009 - 3:43 AM CHAMPAIGN, Illinois (Ticker) -- Kalin Lucas scored 18 points to help ninth-ranked Michigan State claim at least a share of the Big Ten regular-season crown Sunday with a 74-66 victory over No. 20 Illinois.
Raymar Morgan added 14 points off the bench for Michigan State, which can clinch the title outright with a win over Indiana on Tuesday.
The Spartans (23-5, 13-3 Big Ten) never trailed in the contest, winning their third straight game and capturing the regular season title for the first time since 2001.
"We played at times some of our best basketball," Michigan State coach Tom Izzo told the Chicago Tribune. "I'm ecstatic. To win on the road, win in a place I have so much respect for."
The Fighting Illini (23-7, 11-6) used a 10-3 spurt midway through the second half to tie the game for the first time at 58-58 and both teams stalled offensively from there.
Over the next 5:25 of game action, the teams combined for just three points as Michigan State held a 60-59 lead with under two minutes remaining.
"I knew they'd be ready to play," Illinois coach Bruce Weber told the Tribune. "At the start of the second half, we were hanging our head, like deer in headlights. I told them, 'This is your own place. Are you going to let them run over you?'"
Michigan State went on a 16-6 run from there to claim the season sweep over the Fighting Illini. Lucas started the spurt with a pair of free throws and Travis Walton delivered a clutch jumper as the shot clock expired on the next possession for a five-point lead.
"We didn't execute, and they picked it up on defense," Illinois guard Trent Meacham told the newspaper. "We ran down the shot clock and weren't getting good looks."
After Demetri McCamey made a pair of free throws, the Spartans diced up the Illinois press, resulting in Durrell Summers' dunk. They iced the game by knocking down 6-of-8 from the free-throw line down the stretch.
Mike Tisdale led Illinois with 15 points and Mike Davis added 13 points and eight rebounds.
"We gave ourselves a chance," Weber told the Tribune. "We didn't make plays down the stretch."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MICHIGAN ST (9) 37 37 74
ILLINOIS (20) 30 36 66 FINAL
Mar 1 6:09 PM
- NCAA BB
(9) MICHIGAN ST 37
(20) ILLINOIS 30 HALFTIME
Mar 1 4:50 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- After arrests, Illinois AD gives Groce another endorsement Mar 24
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22