Georgia beats New Orleans 67-59 in Fox debutNov 14, 2009 - 2:37 AM By PAUL NEWBERRY AP Sports Writer
ATHENS, Ga.(AP) -- Trey Thompkins scored 25 points, Ricky McPhee hit a huge 3-pointer and Georgia pulled out a win in Mark Fox's coaching debut, beating New Orleans 67-59 Friday night.
Thompkins, who figures to carry a team that isn't expected to do much in Fox's first season, lived up to the billing by hitting 7-of-11 shots, including three from 3-point range, and grabbing 12 rebounds. McPhee had the biggest shot, however, swishing one from beyond the arc with 2:19 remaining to push Georgia's lead to 58-53.
New Orleans, which announced just two days before its opener that it's studying the possibility of dropping from NCAA Division I to Division III, was led by Charles Carmouche with 20 points.
- NCAA BB
NEW ORLEANS 59
GEORGIA 67 FINAL
Nov 13 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
NEW ORLEANS 32
GEORGIA 34 HALFTIME
Nov 13 7:55 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Georgia's Fox pushing for consistency after reaching NCAAs Oct 29
- Mann, Gaines looking to push Georgia to new heights Oct 23
- Michigan State holds off Georgia Mar 20
- Georgia and Michigan State meet in NCAA Tournament tussle Mar 20