Virginia Commmonwealth beats Bethune-Cookman 77-51Nov 14, 2009 - 4:48 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Joey Rodriguez led four players in double figures with 17 points and Virginia Commonwealth routed Bethune-Cookman 77-51 on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
Larry Sanders and Jay Gavin each added 12 points for the Rams and Bradford Burgess had 10. It was the first game in two years for Gavin, who sat out last season under NCAA transfer rules.
The Rams broke open the game with a 24-4 run to close out the first half with a 41-21 lead. The Rams forced six turnovers during that span.
The Rams continued to dominate in the second half and led by as many as 32 points at 74-42 with 3:52 remaining.
C.J. Reed had 21 points for the Wildcats to lead all scorers. Alexander Starling added 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Poor shooting doomed the Wildcats, who made only 34.7 percent (17-for-49) for the game.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10