Dunn scores 32 as Baylor beats Norfolk State 86-58Nov 14, 2009 - 4:29 AM WACO, Texas(AP) -- LaceDarius Dunn scored 25 of his game-high 32 points in the first half and Ekpe Udoh added a career-high 18 as Baylor coasted past visiting Norfolk State 86-58 Friday in both teams' season opener.
Michael Deloach led Norfolk State with 20 points and eight rebounds as Baylor held the Spartans to 33 percent shooting from the field and out-rebounded them 43-35. Udoh, a junior transfer from Michigan, added a career-best 11 boards, while freshman A.J. Walton had eight points and five assists after replacing suspended point guard Tweety Carter in the starting lineup.
Baylor took control in the opening minutes as Dunn sparked a 17-0 run that gave the Bears a 23-5 lead with 13:06 left in the half. The junior swingman hit his first five shots, including two 3-pointers, and all eight of his free throws as Baylor took a 48-27 halftime lead.
"He improved on his midrange game," Norfolk State coach Anthony Evans said of Dunn, who finished 10 for 16 from the field and 4 of 4 from the three-point line. "Last year we watched some film, and all he was doing was shooting from long range."
Earlier Friday, Baylor coach Scott Drew announced that Carter had been suspended for the season's first four games for an undisclosed violation of team rules. The senior, Baylor's only returning starter at 11 points per game, is scheduled to return to the lineup on Thanksgiving Day against Alabama in the first round of the Old Spice Classic in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- No. 9 Kansas tops No. 16 Baylor to reach Big 12 title game Mar 14
- Baylor and Kansas meet in Big 12 Tournament semifinals Mar 13
- Baylor tops West Virginia in Big 12 tourney Mar 12
- Mountaineers challenge Bears in Big 12 Tournament action Mar 12
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Texas fights off No. 14 Baylor in OT Mar 2