Duquesne avoids Nicholls State upset bid 85-62Nov 14, 2009 - 6:30 AM PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Melquan Bolding scored 25 points and Damian Saunders grabbed 19 rebounds as Duquesne defeated Nicholls State 85-62 in the season opener for both teams Friday night.
Nicholls State, which was led by 23 points from Anatoly Bose, overcame a 10-point deficit to take a 36-33 halftime lead. But a 21-7 second-half run by the Dukes gave them a 62-48 lead with 7:27 left and spoiled the Colonels' hopes for an upset.
Nicholls State committed 10 fouls in the first 12 minutes. The Dukes made 9 of 13 free throws in the first half while shooting 50 percent for the game.
Trailing 25-15 with 7:47 left in the first half, Nicholls State went on a 21-8 run over the next 7 minutes. The Colonels produced four steals and took advantage of 12 turnovers in the first half to reclaim the lead for the first time since the opening points of the contest.
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- Wisconsin crushes Nicholls Dec 13
- Colonels face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 13
- No. 19 Michigan eases past Nicholls Nov 30
- Wolverines seek redemption in clash with visiting Colonels Nov 29
- Duquesne stuns Saint Louis Feb 28
- Billikens look forward to big night against visiting Dukes Feb 27
- St. Louis sneaks past Duquesne Jan 22
- Dukes seek upset of 19th-ranked Billikens Jan 22