Idaho beats Utah 94-87; first time in 71 yearsNov 14, 2009 - 4:59 AM SALT LAKE CITY(AP) -- Mac Hopson scored eight of his 16 points in the last six minutes as Idaho beat Utah 94-87 on Friday, bringing the team its first win against the school in 71 years.
Plagued by foul trouble, Hopson re-entered the game with the score tied and engineered a 13-6 run to end the game.
Steffan Johnson scored 19 points and Jeff Ledbetter added 16 as the Vandals (1-0) took its first game after losing 11-straight on the road.
The teams have played 15 times over the years and last Idaho victory was in 1938.
The Utes (0-1) trailed much of the game but made their comeback behind freshman center Jason Washburn. After falling behind by eight, Washburn scored six points.
But Hopson promptly hit an outside jumper and a leaner in the lane to spark the clinching surge for Idaho in the season opener for both teams.
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- No. 16 Utah, Krystkowiak look to pick up offensive pace Nov 11
- Utah Utes looking to build on Sweet 16 run without Wright Oct 28