Northern Iowa edges past Denver 71-65Nov 14, 2009 - 6:05 AM DENVER(AP) -- Kwadzo Ahelegbe scored 18 points, hitting half of his 14 field goal tries, to lead Northern Iowa to a 71-65 win over Denver on Friday.
Ahelegbe was one of four Northern Iowa (1-0) players to score double digits, including Jordan Eglseder, who had a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
Ali Farokhmanesh had 16 points for the Panthers and Adam Koch scored 13.
Denver (0-1) kept the score close most of the game, down just two points at the half and tied with 7:04 to play. But Northern Iowa held on to a small lead after that.
Denver's Brian Stafford led the game in points with 20. His team also had four players with double-digit scoring.
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20