Reed's late scores lifts Auburn past Niagara 69-65Nov 14, 2009 - 5:47 AM AUBURN, Ala.(AP) -- DeWayne Reed's layup and free throw with 12.5 seconds and Auburn held off Niagara 69-65 in the season opener for both teams Friday night.
Reed, who finished with 24 points, scored eight points during the Tigers' 11-0 run in the game's final 89 seconds.
Frankie Sullivan added 10 points for Auburn, which was picked to finish last in the Southeastern Conference West division and return two starters from last year's 24-win team.
Auburn's Lucas Hargrove blocked Rob Garrison's layup attempt with 2.8 seconds remaining and followed with a steal on Niagara's last possession to cap Auburn's come-from-behind victory.
Bilal Benn had a double-double by halftime and finished with 16 points and 13 rebounds for the Purple Eagles, who are coming off a 26-win season that included a second-place finish in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference and an NIT appearance.
- NCAA BB
AUBURN 69 FINAL
Nov 13 11:56 PM
- NCAA BB
AUBURN 33 HALFTIME
Nov 13 10:43 PM
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro Feb 12
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee Feb 8
- Auburn top scorer Kareem Canty suspended indefinitely Feb 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Cinmeon Bowers to return against LSU Feb 1
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Auburn's Bowers brings energy, rebounds back to lineup Jan 21
- Pearl: Auburn guard Shamsid-Deen out for season Jan 15
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12
- Auburn Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Auburn's Pearl relying again on overhauled roster Oct 29
- Kentucky remains perfect with win over Auburn Mar 14