La Salle holds off Hampton 83-80Nov 15, 2009 - 12:14 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Rodney Green scored 23 points and had five assists to lead La Salle to an 83-80 victory over Hampton on Saturday in the season opener for both teams.
The Explorers took a 25-12 lead, capped by Green's 3-pointer with 10:11 left in the first half. The Pirates then went on a 17-1 run to take a 29-26 lead with 6:40 remaining, but La Salle used a 9-2 spurt to close out the half 35-31.
The Explorers built a double-digit lead, the biggest at 70-56 with 4:21 left following a 3-pointer by Ruben Guillendeaux.
Darrion Pellum scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half for Hampton, which trailed 81-74 with 15 seconds left. Pellum and Vincent Sampson then hit two 3-pointers down the stretch.
Aaric Murray added 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Explorers and Yves Mekongo chipped in 16 points.
Simpson had 18 points and Michael Freeman added 16 for Hampton.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- La Salle downs slumping VCU in double OT Feb 11
- Explorers seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Feb 11