Illinois-Chicago downs Illinois-Springfield 72-59Nov 14, 2009 - 11:54 PM CHICAGO(AP) -- Zavion Neely scored a career-high 19 points and K.C. Robbins had a double-double Saturday in Illinois-Chicago's 72-59 victory over Illinois-Springfield.
Robbins, a 6-foot-11, 270-pound junior college transfer making his Division I debut, had 12 points and 13 rebounds in the season opener for both teams. The Maine native nearly had his double-double by halftime, with eight points and nine rebounds.
Robo Kreps, the Flames' top returning scorer, had 16 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
UIC built a 14-point lead by ending the first half on a 15-5 run. The Flames never looked back, going ahead by as many as 22 in the second half.
Richard Oruche led the Prairie Stars with 14 points.
UIC was without senior starters Jeremy Buttell and Kris Harris, who were serving one-game suspensions for violating team rules.
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Illinois-Chicago stuns No. 12 Illinois Dec 18
- UIC coach Collins retires after 14 seasons Jul 20
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee advances in Horizon, 73-67 Mar 2
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee tops Illinois-Chicago 78-74 Feb 27
- Illinois-Chicago stuns Wisconsin-Green Bay 78-71 Feb 25
- Illinois-Chicago beats Evansville 82-80 Feb 20
- No. 18 Butler douses Flames 73-55 Feb 17
- Ill.-Chicago-Butler Preview Feb 16
- Loyola of Chicago defeats Illinois-Chicago 80-63 Feb 13