Miami defeats North Carolina Central 83-53Nov 14, 2009 - 11:20 PM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- Adrian Thomas scored 16 points and Miami defeated North Carolina Central 83-53 in the Hurricanes' season opener Saturday.
Thomas shot 6-for-9 from the field, including 4-for-7 from the 3-point line. Dwayne Collins finished with 12 points and six rebounds for Miami.
The Hurricanes pulled away with a 14-2 spurt in the final 4:42 of the first half. Julian Gamble scored six straight points during the run, including a fast-break dunk for Miami's first double-digit lead at 36-25 with 1:25 left in the half.
Gamble was Miami's third scorer in double figures with 10 points.
Vincent Davis led the Eagles with 16 points. North Carolina Central (0-2) lost its season opener 89-42 at defending NCAA champion North Carolina on Wednesday.
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Feb 11