ETSU defeats Appalachian State 62-58Nov 15, 2009 - 12:24 AM JOHNSON CITY, Tenn.(AP) -- Adam Sollazzo scored 13 to lead East Tennessee State to a 62-58 win over Appalachian State on Saturday.
Sollazzo shot 4-for-7 from the field and 5-for-6 from the free-throw line. The Buccaneers (1-0) also received 11 points apiece from Justin Tubbs and Sheldon Cooley.
A layup from Sollazzo late in the second half broke a 53-all tie, and a layup from Micah Williams with 2:34 remaining gave the Buccaneers a 57-53 lead. Appalachian State (1-1) cut the lead to 57-56 on a three-point play by Ryann Abraham with 1:05 remaining, but the Mountaineers would get no closer.
They intentionally fouled ETSU on the following three possessions, and the Buccaneers shot 5-for-6 from the charity stripe to end the contest.
Appalachian State was led by Donald Sims, who scored nine points.
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9
- No. 20 Tar Heels take on Buccaneers Dec 8
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Zeller and North Carolina cruise past App State Dec 17
- Hoyas bounce back with win over Appalachian State Dec 12
- Appalachian State hires Capel as new coach Apr 21