Southern Miss beats Louisiana-Lafayette 79-72Nov 15, 2009 - 4:21 AM LAFAYETTE, La.(AP) -- R.L. Horton scored 20 points and Southern Mississippi beat Louisiana-Lafayette 79-72 in the season opener for both teams on Saturday night.
Maurice Bolden had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles. Bolden made 3 of 4 attempts from 3-point range.
Gary Flowers added 12 points with eight rebounds for the Golden Eagles.
The Golden Eagles led by 13 points with 10 minutes remaining, but went the final 5:07 without a field goal.
Randell Daigle and Lamar Anderson both came off the bench to score 14 points to lead the Ragin Cajuns. Tyren Johnson added 13 points while Travis Bureau and Courtney Wallace each added 11 points.
The Ragin Cajuns got 39 points from their bench.
The Golden Eagles held a 40-20 rebounding edge, outscoring the Ragin Cajuns 12-2 on second-chance points.
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29