Norfolk State rallies to edge Maine 72-71Nov 17, 2009 - 3:09 AM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Kyle O'Quinn banked in a layup with 5 seconds left to cap a Norfolk State rally in a 72-71 victory over Maine on Monday night.
The Black Bears' Gerald McLemore made 1 of 2 free throws to break a tie at 70 with 27 seconds left. After a missed jumper and a time out, Brandon Wheeless took the inbounds pass, drove the lane and dished to O'Quinn, who was open for the game-winner.
Maine's Junior Bernal got off a hurried shot that fell short as time expired.
Maine (1-1) led 52-38 with 11:43 remaining, but Rob Hampton scored 15 of his 17 points after halftime as the Spartans (1-1) tied the game at 66 with 2 minutes to go.
O'Quinn had his second career double-double for Norfolk State with 15 points and 12 rebounds. He was 7-for-8 with two blocks and two steals.
McLemore led Maine with 24 points while going 7-for-8 in the second half, including 4-for-5 from 3-point range.
- NCAA BB
NORFOLK ST 72 FINAL
Nov 16 9:05 PM
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- Norfolk State pays visit to No. 9 Virginia Nov 16
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6
- Evans leaving Norfolk State Apr 15
- Warren, Wolfpack roll past Spartans Dec 16
- Wolfpack set to pounce on visiting Spartans Dec 15
- Illinois remains undefeated, downs Norfolk State Dec 12
- 10th-ranked Illini set sights on Spartans Dec 11