Savannah State beats Cent. Conn. State 53-45Nov 17, 2009 - 2:50 AM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Rashad Hassan had 11 points and Savannah State never trailed in defeating Central Connecticut State 53-45 on Monday night.
Tracy Rankins added 10 points for the Tigers (2-0), who protected their lead throughout by holding the Blue Devils (0-2) to 36.2 percent shooting from field (17-for-47).
Central Connecticut State cut Savannah State's lead to 34-32 on Shemik Thompson's layup with 11:40 in the second half, but Hassan and Darius Baugh hit layups and Rankins hit a 3-pointer to build the advantage to 41-32 with 9:01 remaining in the game.
Hassan's dunk gave Savannah State a 48-38 lead with 3:56 left.
The Tigers outrebounded the Blue Devils 39-28 behind eight from Arnold Louis and seven from Hassan.
Ten players scored for Savannah State.
Thompson led Central Connecticut State with 12 points and Robby Ptacek had 11 points and six rebounds.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29