Florida State defeats Jacksonville 87-61 in openerNov 17, 2009 - 2:40 AM By BRENT KALLESTAD Associated Press Writer
TALLAHASSEE, Fla.(AP) -- Solomon Alabi's 17 points led a balanced Florida State offense in an 87-61 win over Jacksonville on Monday night in the season opener for both teams.
The 7-foot-1 Alabi helped the Seminoles take advantage of their height in the rout.
Five Seminoles finished in double figures with highly-recruited freshman Michael Snaer adding 14 in his collegiate debut.
Florida State took control of the game early with a 20-2 run midway through the opening half to take a 24-8 lead. By midway through the second half, the Seminoles increased their advantage to 55-24, and only the final score was in question.
Senior guard Ben Smith led Jacksonville with 17 points. The Dolphins shot just 31.7 percent in the game and were outrebounded 42-26.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
JACKSONVILLE 18 43 61
FLORIDA STATE 35 52 87 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: JACKSONVILLE - BEN SMITH 19, TRAVIS COHN 9,
CHRIS EDWARDS 8
FLORIDA STATE - SOLOMON ALABI 17, RYAN REID 14,
XAVIER GIBSON 12
Nov 16 9:17 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA ST 34 0:00 LEFT, 1ST HALF
Nov 16 8:00 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26