Bethune-Cookman beats Edward Waters 74-55Nov 18, 2009 - 3:03 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Alexander Starling scored a career-high 28 points and C.J. Reed added 21 to carry Bethune-Cookman to a 74-55 victory over Edward Waters on Tuesday night.
Starling was 11-for-13 and grabbed 14 rebounds as the Wildcats (1-2) won their first game after losses at Virginia Commonwealth and Old Dominion.
Edward Waters (2-3) was led by 12 points from Vanrossi Holder.
Starling and Reed sparked the Wildcats to a 20-2 lead in the first half, and they led 37-19 at halftime.
The Tigers, who were 6-for-24 on first-half field goals, closed the deficit to 11 early in the second half. Ronnie Weston's seven points led the surge.
The Wildcats, who shot 58.3 percent for the game, had a 60-38 edge with 9:38 remaining. The largest difference was 27 points, coming on two separate occasions in the final 6 minutes.
Bethune-Cookman won the rebounding battle 41-19.
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-Cookman Dec 15
- No.6 Bears welcome Wildcats to Waco Dec 14
- Baylor makes quick work of Bethune-Cookman Dec 16
- Delaware State slips past Bethune-Cookman 57-55 Mar 11
- Bethune-Cookman defeats Florida A&M 64-53 in MEAC Mar 9
- Florida A&M rallies to beat Bethune-Cookman 69-64 Mar 5
- Bethune-Cookman tops Winston-Salem 66-45 Mar 1
- South Carolina State defeats Bethune-Cookman 58-46 Feb 27
- Thomas helps Bethune-Cookman hold off Howard 52-44 Feb 22