Central Florida defeats Howard 68-59Nov 18, 2009 - 2:19 AM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- Taylor Young scored 15 points to lead four Central Florida players in double figures as the Knights defeated Howard 68-59 on Tuesday night.
UCF (2-0) held the Bison (0-2) to 42 percent shooting (22-for-53) to open the round robin Glenn Wilkes Classic.
The Knights maintained a double-digit lead for nearly 19 minutes of the second half. A 9-0 Howard run trimmed UCF's advantage to 63-55 with 1:12 remaining, but the Bison could get no closer than seven the rest of the way.
Isaac Sosa finished with 14 points for the Knights. Dave Diakite added 10 points and 11 rebounds and freshman Keith Clanton scored 10 points, all in the first half, and pulled down 10 rebounds.
The Knights hit only 39 percent from the floor (12-for-31) in the first half compared to the Bison's 30 percent (7-for-23).
Calvin Thompson led Howard with 15 points and eight rebounds.
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- No. 13 Cincinnati sneaks past UCF Mar 14
- AAC quarterfinals pits Bearcats against Knights Mar 13
- No. 23 SMU routs UCF Mar 1
- Knights come calling on 23rd-ranked Mustangs Mar 1
- No. 7 Cincinnati uses balanced effort to crush Central Florida Feb 19