Mitchell leads Alabama past Jackson State 86-69Nov 18, 2009 - 4:07 AM TUSCALOOSA, Ala.(AP) -- Freshman Tony Mitchell scored 23 points to lead four Alabama players in double figures as the Crimson Tide gave first-year coach Anthony Grant his first victory, 86-69 over Jackson State on Tuesday night.
Ahead 40-35 at halftime, Alabama (1-1) opened the second half with a 21-8 spurt to lead 61-43 with 12:17 left.
Charvez Davis had 16 points for the Crimson Tide and JaMychal Green and Mikhail Torrance each scored 13 points.
Garrison Johnson scored 29 points for Jackson State (0-2).
Alabama used a 12-4 run to lead 26-18 with 9:26 left in the first half. Jackson State cut the lead to 37-35 on a Johnson 3-pointer with 1:34 remaining in the half.
Crimson Tide senior guard Anthony Brock, who started and scored 15 points and made seven steals in Alabama's season-opening loss to Cornell, was suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules prior to the game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
JACKSON STATE 35 34 69
ALABAMA 40 46 86 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: JACKSON STATE - GARRISON JOHNSON 29, TYRONE HANSON 10,
ROD MELVIN 8
ALABAMA - TONY MITCHELL 23, CHARVEZ DAVIS 16,
JAMYCHAL GREEN 15
Nov 17 10:27 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 35
ALABAMA 40 HALFTIME
Nov 17 9:18 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- Alabama point guard Ingram out for season with foot injury Dec 10
- Alabama's Avery Johnson set for college coaching debut Nov 12
- Alabama Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Avery Johnson stirring up excitement before Alabama debut Oct 29
- Alabama tabs Avery Johnson as men's basketball coach Apr 6