DePaul beats Columbia 59-53 behind Koshwal's 19Nov 18, 2009 - 4:14 AM ROSEMONT, Ill.(AP) -- Mac Koshwal had 19 points and 12 rebounds Tuesday night as DePaul snapped an 18-game regular-season losing streak with a season-opening 59-53 victory over Columbia.
Will Walker added 15 points for DePaul, which won despite going 9 of 24 from the free-throw line.
Noruwa Agho and Brian Grimes scored 13 points apiece for the Lions, who last beat a Big East team in 1985.
Patrick Foley had a chance to tie the game with 35 seconds left but missed a 3-pointer. Walker then hit three free throws and Eric Wallace had a fast-break dunk to help hold off Columbia.
DePaul started 4-0 and was 8-5 in non-conference games last season before going 0-18 in the Big East, getting outscored by an average of 16.4 points. The Blue Demons defeated Cincinnati in the first round of the conference tournament before losing to Providence to finish 9-24.
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- Leitao back as DePaul coach Mar 29
- Purnell resigns as DePaul head coach Mar 15
- Dunham, Butler top reeling DePaul Feb 28
- Big East brawl pits Bulldogs against Blue Demons Feb 28
- No. 22 Butler hangs on to beat DePaul Feb 7
- Bulldogs host Blue Demons in Big East brawl Feb 7
- Arcidiacono's strong second half lifts 'Nova past DePaul Jan 31
- DePaul entertains No. 7 Villanova Jan 31
- DePaul takes down Seton Hall Jan 23