New Mexico overtakes New Mexico State 97-87Nov 18, 2009 - 5:18 AM LAS CRUCES, N.M.(AP) -- Phillip McDonald scored a career-high 27 points Tuesday night to lead New Mexico to a 97-87 victory over New Mexico State.
McDonald hit eight of 15 from the field, and teammate Roman Martinez chipped in with 24 points. The Lobos (2-0) were 12-for-26 from 3-point range.
At halftime, UNM had made 64.5 percent from the field and led 52-36, a team record for first-half points under head coach Steve Alford.
The Aggies (0-2) trailed by as much as 18 in the second half before outscoring UNM 30-15 to open the second.
Hernst Laroche gave the Aggies their first lead of the half with a pair of free throws, making it 68-67 with about 10:30 to go. Jahmar Young led NMSU with 26 points, scoring 22 in the second half.
But with about eight minutes left Darington Hobson hit a pair of free throws that made it 75-73 and gave the Lobos the lead for good.
- NCAA BB
NEW MEXICO 97
NEW MEXICO ST 87 FINAL
Nov 17 11:26 PM
- NCAA BB
NEW MEXICO 52
NEW MEXICO ST 36 HALFTIME
Nov 17 10:13 PM
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- New Mexico State pulls in OT, beats Robert Morris 81-71 Nov 25
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- Kansas gives Big 12 a lift with rout of New Mexico State Mar 20
- New Mexico State seeks upset of Kansas Mar 20
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3