Smeulders' shooting pushes Portland to 98-81 winNov 18, 2009 - 5:54 AM PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) -- Robin Smeulders scored 24 points on 9-of-12 shooting to lead Portland to a 98-81 victory over Seattle in its home opener Tuesday night.
The Redhawks (0-2) held the lead several times, including a 60-59 edge with 13 minutes remaining.
But the Pilots (2-0) went on a 15-2 run over the next five minutes to take control at 74-62. During that stretch, the Redhawks hit just 1 of 6 shots while committing six of their 22 turnovers.
Portland made just four field goals after that run, but made 15 of 18 free throws to close it out.
The Redhawks' Charles Garcia had a game-high 30 points on 10-of-17 shooting. He also hit 9 of 14 free throws and grabbed eight rebounds.
T.J. Campbell had 21 points, including an 11-for-14 effort from the foul line, and Nik Raivio added 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Pilots.
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- Eastern Washington's college basketball game postponed Nov 17
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Portland Jan 30
- Pilots hope to fly past third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 29
- Gonzaga fends off Portland Jan 3
- Portland hosts No. 7 Gonzaga in WCC showdown Jan 3
- Gonzaga downs Portland Feb 6
- Bulldogs seek redemption against pesky Pilots Feb 5