Barney's 21 spark Loyola, Md. over UMBC 69-66Nov 19, 2009 - 4:30 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Junior guard Jamal Barney scored 14 of his 21 points in the second half, including a basket with 11.7 seconds left, as Loyola University Maryland held off Maryland-Baltimore County 69-66 on Wednesday night.
The Greyhounds (2-1) took the lead for good at 63-62 on a pair of Brett Harvey free throws with 1:40 to play. Two more free throws by Brian Rudolph gave Loyola a three-point lead, but Chris De La Rosa hit a driving layup for the Retrievers (0-2) with 41 seconds left to cut it to 65-64.
Barney's score made it a three-point game again.
Anthony Winbush was the only other Loyola player in double figures with 14 points.
Chauncey Gilliam scored a a career-high 22 points to lead the Retrievers, who trailed 36-26 at halftime after committing 13 of their 17 turnovers.
Loyola has won three straight in the Baltimore schools' series and leads 25-18.
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MD 69
UMBC 66 FINAL
Nov 18 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MD 36
UMBC 26 HALFTIME
Nov 18 8:23 PM
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- Thomas pours in 31 as Ohio State routs Loyola-Maryland Mar 16
- Buckeyes battle Greyhounds to begin tournament run Mar 15
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5
- Hoosiers stay hot in rout of UMBC Dec 22
- No. 3 Kentucky downs Loyola-Maryland behind balanced attack Dec 22
- Greyhounds face tall task in clash with third-ranked Wildcats Dec 22