Brown scores 22 as Utah tops Utah State 68-67Nov 19, 2009 - 3:33 AM SALT LAKE CITY(AP) -- Carlon Brown scored 22 points to help Utah outlast Utah State 68-67 Wednesday night.
After Jared Quayle scored the final two of his game-high 27 points on a pair of free throws with 27.6 seconds remaining, Luka Drca made two foul shots for a 67-64 Utah lead.
Tyler Newbold and Quayle missed chances to tie the game and then Quayle had to use his fifth foul to stop the clock.
Kim Tillie missed the first free throw but made the second to clinch the game. Jaxon Myaer made a 3-pointer just before the buzzer to provide the final score.
Drca had 11 points and six assists for the Utes (1-1), who were outrebounded 38-27 but forced 17 Aggie turnovers.
Tai Wesley had 14 points for the Aggies (1-1) but made only one basket in the second half.
Quayle picked up the slack with 20 points in the second half and made 5 of 7 3-pointers.
Nate Bendall made a jumper to give the Aggies their biggest lead of the night, 47-40.
Luka Drca answered with a 3-pointer that sparked a string of 11 straight points for Utah. Brown's twisting layup in the lane capped the run and made it 51-47 for the Utes with 8:15 to play.
Of the 222 meetings between the schools, this is the earliest date they have played. Utah leads the series, 130-92. Neither team has won two in a row in the matchup - the home team has won eight in a row - since the Aggies won three straight from 2000-02.
The Aggies' zone stifled the Utah offense and forced the Utes to miss 12 3-pointers on their way to a 29-26 halftime lead.
- NCAA BB
UTAH ST 67
UTAH 68 FINAL
Nov 18 9:59 PM
- NCAA BB
UTAH ST 29
UTAH 26 HALFTIME
Nov 18 8:48 PM
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20