Wichita State beats Arkansas-Monticello 79-50Nov 19, 2009 - 3:17 AM WICHITA, Kan.(AP) -- J.T. Durley and Toure Murry each scored 15 points to lead Wichita State to a 79-50 victory over Arkansas-Monticello on Wednesday night in the CBE Classic.
Wichita State (2-0) was playing short-handed, down to eight scholarship players due to three injuries and the suspension of starting point guard Clevin Hannah. That forced Murry to play point guard, and he responded with seven assists and five rebounds.
Arkansas-Monticello (1-1) - a Division II school with nine transfers this season - was a late replacement team in the Classic. The Boll Weevils looked overmatched early, falling behind 13-1.
But Monticello hit three 3-pointers during a 15-4 run that cut Wichita State's lead to 17-16. Despite forcing 15 turnovers and taking 13 more shots, the Shockers only led 32-24 at halftime.
Wichita State, though, started the second half with an 18-2 run.
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Notre Dame lights up Wichita State, reaches Elite Eight Mar 27